As the cold weather is upon us, it gets more and more difficult to get out of bed in the morning or to make excuses to skip your workout.
Some common excuses for not working out:
- Don’t Have the Time
- Tried And Failed In The Past
- Can’t Afford A Gym Membership
- Too Fat (or out-of-shape)
- Don’t Have Any Exercise Equipment
- Don’t Know What Exercises To Do
- Too Old To Get Started
- Just Can’t Get Motivated
- Hate Exercising
- Too Tired
Change your ways
- Log your days for a few days and see where you can find wasted time. If it is a priority you'll rearrange.
- Try to get up an hour earlier a few days a week and work out first thing in the morning, before work. It's too easy at the end of the day to find an excuse not to go.
- Bribe yourself - It's always easier to get through some thing you don't want to do when you have something to look forward to after. That way, the gym will be just a stop on the way to something else you're actually looking forward to. It will eventually turn into what you look forward too.
- Buy some basic items for a quick at-home workout: an exercise mat and a couple of common pound free weights. That way, when you really don't feel like making the trip to the gym, you'll have what you need to spend 30 minutes flexing your muscles at home. Even if you if it's a shorter less intense workout, it's better than skipping out on your workout altogether.
- Music! - Make a playlist of your favorite songs and get to it. Don't suffer from bad music in the gym.. not your style. Or be bothered by the chatty type in the gym. Get in and make it 'Headphones on. Work Off.'
- Keep a log! and Keep it in an obvious location! Make it known when you don't workout and when you look back at the calendar you will see the marks showing the days you missed and want to push that much harder.
- Skip the scale - Don't weigh yourself. It's just not worth it. It could be good or bd. Wouldn't you rather measure success by how your clothes fit and how you feel?
- Dress thee part - The same can apply to working out. Don't put on the same sweats and sports bra day after day. So once a month, treat yourself to a new piece of fitness fashion and give yourself another reason to be motivated.
- Buddy up - You've no doubt heard it before. For extra motivation, make a pact: Each one of you set up a jar and when the other bails they have to put $5 in the other jar. When the jar gets up to $20 (four missed workouts), she has to buy you a gift with that money.
- Mix it up - Variety - When you only do one thing you'll get bored. Lift weights, pole fitness, yoga, Pilates and more. There is so much out there so go and keep the variety alive.